Sometimes, unfortunate things happen when you book a flight and on the departure day you do not reach the airport to board the flight then is considered as no show up, the person who does not turn up at the airport to catch the flight. Different flights have different no-show-up policies. Some airlines charge you the penalty and some give you the refund with service tax deducted as that is non-refundable. If you know in advance that you are going to miss your flight the best way is to inform the airlines that you will be late because of the airlines now then there are increased chances that the airline might help you with that. It is very necessary to remember someone who does not show up is not liable to any refund; it only depends upon the airlines if they want to.
Being a no-show on purpose is not a very thoughtful idea as you can lose your money which might not be refunded and will not be used to book your other flight ticket or the whole amount can be refunded except the service charge. Service charges are non-refundable.
If possible, you should inform the airlines to help you with your problem or if you wish to change your destination, day or time they can change it for you. You might have to pay the service fees and the difference on your new ticket.
Try to be on time if you live in an area where traffic is a huge problem. Because it happens most of the time that people miss their flight because of heavy traffic.
Pack everything a night before your departure. Last min packing can lead to making you late for the flight. If you pack earlier then you will be ready to leave on time and reach on time.
If you know that you are going to miss your flight then it is better to cancel in advance, doing so you will save your money because some amount can be refunded by the airlines. If there is a sudden emergency that cannot be avoided or delayed then the passenger is left with no option except not to show up. But there are several airlines which give their passengers another flight ticket which is available at that moment. In this case, if you have a booking through an agent then it might be possible that you will get an advantage because they have many inside connections which can result in saving money and another flight ticket can be arranged very quickly but the agent will keep his commission that still will be cheaper.
POLICIES OF DIFFERENT AIRLINES:
1. AMERICAN AIRLINES: American airlines have the policy to provide the passenger with a new flight ticket without paying any extra cost if they arrive within the 2 hours of their departure. But there are few conditions which apply to it which is:
• If they are not having their travel documents which are required for the verification then it is considered to be eligible for the refund or to book the next flight.
• If they have their boarding pass in their phone but by mistake, they reached the wrong airport. In this condition also it is considered to give the passenger another ticket.
2. DELTA AIRLINES: Delta airlines do not provide any refund or give any other provision to the no-show passengers. The airlines believe that it promotes the act of being late and they do not want their passengers to make it a habit of not reaching on time and getting there. Instead, they can inform the airlines about the delay on the call before the departure then the airlines will see if they can help the passenger about the same or if they arrive late then they have to visit their ticket counter.
3. SOUTHWEST AIRLINES: A southwest airline has the same policies as American airlines. The passenger has to reach the airport within two hours of its departure. Then only the airlines will provide the next flight available. There is only one condition which is to be kept in mind that this policy will only be applicable if the passenger is not responsible for being late. If you want to cancel your flight then you can cancel 10 mins before your departure time if you don't want to pay the penalty fees.
4. UNITED AIRLINES: United airlines do not have a stable policy in any show up situation. The passenger has to arrive at the ticket counter of the United airlines and then book a ticket for the next flight available. You can contact united airlines within 30 minutes of your missed flight.
5. JETBLUE: Their policy for the no-show situation is that they charge a fee from the passengers who have non-refundable flight tickets. But they book your next flight whichever is available without any extra cost. So it is advised to contact the airline if you think that you might miss your flight.
6. BRITISH AIRWAYS: British airlines do not help any passenger who missed their flights. They clearly mention that the passenger has to book another flight ticket. They only help the passenger if they have missed their connecting flight. Then the British airways automatically book another flight ticket.
7. AIR FRANCE: their policies are very clear on their websites. They have mentioned that if you have missed your flight then they will provide you with the new ticket within 24 hours of your missed flight departure. The cost will be limited to the cost of your missed flight ticket. You have to pay the difference.
Researching and comparing sites before booking the ticket about their policy on no-show-up can be very helpful for the future. It will save you time and money. There are many other flights that have different policies. The reason should be genuine otherwise you will not be granted any refund.